Doctoral Candidate (w/m/d)
Leibniz-Zentrum für Marine Tropenforschung GmbH (ZMT), Bremen
The Leibniz Centre for Tropical Marine Research (www.leibniz-zmt.de) in Bremen is a member of the Leibniz Association, which is supported by the German Federal and State Governments. Through its research, ZMT contributes to developing science-based strategies for sustainable use of tropical coastal systems.
The working group Systems Ecology is looking for a
Doctoral Candidate (w/m/d)
(Reference number: 141 B – SEATRAC)
to conduct research within the DFG (German Science Foundation) funded Project SEATRAC (Sea level change and the Tragedy of Cognition: A comparative study on the role of cognitive biases in understanding sea level rise) The project is part of the interdisciplinary DFG Priority Program Regional Sea Level Change and Society.
You will develop an Agent-Based Model of opinion dynamics. The model will integrate the relevant information gained with surveys and economic experiments (PhD1) into a broader and more flexible simulative context. Numerical experiments will allow you to explore a number of bias distribution hypotheses and their effects in the context of multiple sea level change scenarios. By combining empirical data into the model, you will investigate the behavioural factors that limit peoples’ abilities to perceive and react to the threats posed by seal level rise in Northern Germany & Indonesia.
- Qualifications in theoretical and computational oriented disciplines (mathematics, physics, theoretical ecology, climate sciences, etc.), ideally with a focus on natural resources.
- A strong background in mathematical modelling, advanced python programming skills, and an excellent spoken and written English are mandatory.
- Proved interest for topics related to human-resource interactions, human adaptive behaviour, and human perception in the context of environmental change.
- Willingness to closely cooperate with PhD1 and to travel to Indonesia and Northern Germany to learn about and assist with behavioural experiments.
For additional information, please contact: Prof. Dr. Agostino Merico, agostino.merico(at)leibniz-zmt.de
Details of the position:
The candidate will be on a 36 months contract. Salary will be paid according to the German TV-L EG 13. The post will be filled 75% of a full position.
- An exciting working environment in an interdisciplinary and internationally oriented institute and research project
- Possibilities to build and extend an international professional network and participate in a research field of high public and scientific interest
- A family-friendly working environment
ZMT is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants with a migration background are welcome. Disabled persons with comparable qualification receive preferential status.
Please send your application (a motivation letter, a copy of the relevant certificates, a complete CV with a list of publications/master thesis and skills, names with email addresses and telephone numbers of two referees) until November 30, 2019 as a single pdf file with the reference number “141 B– SEATRAC” to Ms. Lena Oehlmann, E-Mail: bewerbung(at)leibniz-zmt.de.
Leibniz Centre for Tropical Marine Research, Fahrenheitstraße 6, D-28359 Bremen