Doctoral Researcher Bioprocess Engineer/ Bio-physicist (f/m/d)
Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology - Hans Knöll Institute (HKI), Jena
The Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology – Hans Knöll Institute – (Leibniz-HKI, www.leibniz-hki.de) investigates the pathobiology of human-pathogenic fungi and identifies targets for the development of novel natural product-based antibiotics. The Bio Pilot Plant invites talented and highly gifted candidates to apply for
Doctoral Researcher Bioprocess Engineer/Bio-physicist (f/m/d)
for three years initially with the possiblity to obtain a doctoral degree.
Research Area: The research of the Microfluidics Group at the Bio Pilot Plant has been focused on the establishment of a droplet-based microfluidic strategy to exploit microbial diversity and screen with ultra-high throughput for bacteria producing novel natural products. As pioneers in the encapsulation and cultivation of cells and microorganisms in droplets, we are further developing our microfluidic platform to address all the details required for its effective application. To further expand the applicability of our technology and upgrade it with the latest innovations of ultrahigh throughput liquid handling, we initiated, under the frame of the Leibniz ScienceCampus InfectoOptics, an interdisciplinary cooperation project between the HKI Bio Pilot Plant, the Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Optics and Precision Mechanics IOF and the Leibniz Institute of Photonic Technology.
The successful candidate will design, construct and optimize sample multiplexing and droplet deposition equipment for the established droplet microfluidic platform. Additionally, he/she will integrate advanced droplet analytics developed by the project partners into the platform. Work will take place in a dynamic and highly motivated group. Within the group, the Engineer will experience a strong support based on lively collaboration and friendly interaction between the interdisciplinary scientists and access to state-of-art equipment. In addition, the applicant will have all possibilities to realize own innovative ideas and develop new projects while contributing to the organization within the Microfluidics Group.
- A degree/experience in engineering, physics or related disciplines with basic knowledge of microfluidic principles and techniques
- Strong interest in biological application of microfluidic techniques, enriching the multidisciplinarity of the group
- Knowledge in electro-optical components for signal acquisition and processing
- Large dataset analysis (MatLab, R studio, others)
- Strong knowledge in design and building of optical constructs and troubleshooting
- The candidate should embrace working in an international, interdisciplinary research team
- Ability for team-oriented as well as creative and independent work
- Very good communication skills in English
- Experience in microfluidic research and/or flow cytometry, microsystems or biomedical engineering would be an advantage
- Advanced programming skills in LabView, Arduino, C/C++ for microcontrollers
- Specialized software knowledge (Zemax, Comsol, AutoCAD or other)
The research group is embedded in the outstanding scientific environment of the Beutenberg Campus providing state-of-art research facilities and a highly integrative network of life science and technical science institutes and groups. We offer excellent technical facilities, a place in a committed team, as well as strong scientific collaborations. As a PhD candidate, the applicant will be a graduate student at Friedrich Schiller University Jena and benefit from the extended graduate training of the Jena Graduate Academy and the Jena School of Microbial Communication.
Salary is according to German TV-L (salary agreement for public service employees). As an equal opportunity employer the HKI is committed to increase the percentage of female scientists and therefore especially encourages them to apply. The position will be filled as soon as possible.
For further information
Prof. Dr. Miriam Agler-Rosenbaum | +49 3641 532 1120 | email@example.com
Dr. Miguel Tovar | +49 3641 532 1495 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete applications in English should include a CV, a brief statement of work experiences and interests, the addresses of possible referees, and should be submitted by October 31, 2019 via the online application system.